The Sam Houston State University Department of Theatre and Musical Theatre provides theatre majors with a strong foundation in theatre. You may specialize your degree with an emphasis in acting and directing, design and technology, or theatre education.
The acting emphasis develops your abilities through comprehensive classes across genres and styles in acting, speech, and movement for stage, film, and television. It will prepare you for a career in commercial theatre. The directing emphasis provides a detailed study of the directing process.
The design and technology emphasis concentrates on the concepts and materials of designing scenery, costumes, make up, properties, lighting, and sound for theatre. We stress the importance of how to use modern technology for theatre applications.
If you wish to pursue theatre education through teacher certification for early childhood through 12th grade (EC-12), you will major in theatre and minor in secondary education.
The relationship with many of the Houston area theatres gives our students the opportunity to work in professional performance and arts administration capacities while still in school. Currently, we have internships with Theatre Under the Stars, Stages Repertory Theatre, The Classical Theatre Company, Main Street Theatre, and Texas Repertory Theatre.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Beginning Acting
- Stage Make Up
- Voice I for the Actor
- Voice II for the Actor
- Beginning Design
- Text Analysis for Theatre
- Intermediate Acting
- History Of The Theatre I
- Advanced Acting: Modern Thtre
- Advanced Acting: Class. Thetre
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Liberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 2242 other Bachelors in Liberal Arts in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Sam Houston State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Submit the ApplyTexas.org Application (International) and pay the nonrefundable application fee of $75 in U.S. currency via MasterCard, American Express, VISA, Discover Card, money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank.
- Send official high school transcripts or college/university transcripts if applicable.
- If transcripts are from a school outside of the U.S. the document must be translated and evaluated by a NACES accredited service or SDR Educational Consultants
- International college transcript evaluations must include a course by course evaluation from an accredited evaluation company
International19560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 652 USD per credit during 48 months.
National19560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 652 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State7320 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 244 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Huntsville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.