Social Science is the study of social relationships, structures and issues.
Through core and elective courses, you will learn to analyse, challenge and gain insight into globally significant theories about gender, class, race, crime, illness and health, work, social justice and social organisation.
You will also explore the exciting complexities of the human social experience and learn to apply the research methodologies of social science to the societies in which we exist.
Why study with us?
- Pursue what interests you. Choose a specialisation from 11 diverse social science majors to enrich your learning and employment options.
- Graduate work-ready through hands-on learning and the opportunity for a minimum of 80 hours work experience as part of your degree.
- Be part of an enriched learning environment. 90% of our Social Science students are impressed with the teaching quality at the University of Newcastle and we are global leaders in the areas of Sociology and Geography.
- Develop in-demand skills transferrable across industries like advanced social research techniques, high-level communication, problem-solving, socio-cultural awareness and teamwork.
- Work Integrated Learning – opportunity to gain real-world experience through industry placement opportunities and embedded authentic experiences throughout the program.
- Graduate with Honours – for one extra year of study at the end of your Social Science degree from the University of Newcastle, you can refine your practical research skills and enhance your career prospects by completing the Honours program.
Careers stemming from this degree are broad and varied. You will work closely with our Careers Service to align your majors and courses to where you would like to specialise.
Whatever your preferred career path (eco-tourism, event management, human services, human resources, global health to name a few), you will graduate from UON with work-ready skills and transferable attributes that are attractive to employers.
Common areas of employment for Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) graduates include social research, management and policy work for government and non-government agencies.
You may also find work in the private sector, particularly in areas relating to your major. For instance graduates of the Community Welfare and Human Services major may find work with a variety of government and private welfare agencies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Society and Culture
- Professional Practice and Key Debates in Social Sciences
- Organisational Management and Social Behaviour
- Social Analysis: Key Perspectives in the Social Sciences
- Ethical Debates in the Social Sciences
- Applied Social Research
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
It is recommended you submit your application a minimum of 12 weeks before your intended semester or trimester start date.
DisciplinesSociology Philosophy & Ethics Political Science View 48 other Masters in Political Science in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code: 014637C
- Admission to our undergraduate degree programs usually requires successful completion of a senior secondary school qualification similar to the Higher School Certificate (HSC), the highest educational award in New South Wales schools.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International29990 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29990 AUD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Newcastle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have many scholarships available for international students. Some are awarded automatically if students meet eligibility criteria on applying. Other scholarships require a specific application and provide a higher level of scholarship benefit, up to and including full tuition covered. Please review the specific program of interest to see what you could be eligible for.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.