Biotechnology uses living organisms to modify products for a specific human purpose, such as genetically modified crops or creation of a vaccine.
The products of biotechnology are all around us and impact on our daily lives more and more as we learn to make living cells perform useful and specific tasks in a predictable and controlled way. Biotechnology is used to modify human health and the human environment and is currently used in genetic engineering; health and pharmaceuticals; plant and animal agriculture; food production; fuels; and waste management.
Why study with us?
- Top 3 in Australia for overall satisfaction for undergraduate Science and Mathematics students *
- Apply your skills in a practical environment by undertaking a compulsory 10-week full-time industry placement.
- Top 10 in Australia for Human Biological Sciences**
- Contribute to solving issues facing humanity such as dealing with a changing environment, disease, climate change and improving agricultural yields.
- Embark on a global experience- develop a global mindset, diversify your skill set and build your international network with virtual study options or travel abroad and undergo a semester exchange, short course, internship or study tour to enhance your program.
A stand out feature of the Biotechnology program from the University of Newcastle is the compulsory 10-week full-time industrial placement completed in your final year. It allows you to apply what you have learned to a biotechnology environment and broadens your experience in preparation for your future.
In the third year of the degree, you will also have the opportunity to spend a whole week at a time in laboratory training. These intense laboratory courses feature hands-on learning and teamwork activities that will help prepare you for the workplace.
Bachelor of Biotechnology students are eligible to enrol in International Study where you can complete an international placement. International study opportunities help you expand the theoretical knowledge and skills developed throughout your degree and apply them in an external and international context.
- Molecules, Cells and Organisms
- Organisms to Ecosystems
- Professional Skills for Biological Sciences
- Biotechnology Sector
- Physics for the Life Sciences
- Statistics for the Sciences
- 36 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
International students: It is recommended you submit your application a minimum of 12 weeks before your intended semester or trimester start date.
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Biochemistry View 170 other Bachelors in Biology in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code: 059879B
- Academic transcript
- Completion certificate
- Evidence of English proficiency
- Passport biometric page
- For programs requiring work experience, a curriculum vitae (CV)/resume and/or letters of work experience are recommended.
International41105 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41105 AUD per year during 36 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 AUD per year during 36 months.
National students are Commonwealth Supported.
Living costs for Newcastle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.