The Philosophy major and minor at University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) also introduces students to a range of traditional philosophical issues and provides an opportunity to read carefully the works of some of the greatest thinkers in history.
Philosophy is sometimes described as the study of the true, the good, and the beautiful, but a more useful characterization might describe some of the standard areas of philosophy. Metaphysics studies what there is and the role of humans in the structure of things. Does God exist? Are minds and thoughts real and basic, or are we merely bodies and brainstates? Does everything have a cause, and if so do we have free will? What is the nature of personal identity? These are examples of metaphysical questions.
Epistemology is the study of knowledge: what we can know and how we know it. Can we really know anything? Is the world really the way it appears to us? Do other minds exist, and are their experiences like mine? How can we ever know the truth of a universal scientific law, based on our finite experience? Ethics considers what is right and wrong, ideals of the good life, and what we owe ourselves and others. Do I have any reason to obey a moral code if it conflicts with my self-interest?
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Deductive Systems
- Ethical Theory
- Political Philosophy
- Philosophy of Law
- Advanced Topics in Ethics
- Animals and the Environment: Moral Theory and its Application
- Applied Ethics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 1081 other Bachelors in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- If you have or are currently earning your high school/secondary school diploma or equivalent but have not earned college credits at the university level AFTER earning your diploma, you should apply to UMBC as a first-year student.
- We weigh a number of factors in making admission decisions. In addition to grade point average and standardized test scores, the strength of your curriculum, class rank, and other achievements as well as your essay will be considered. We expect applicants to have completed a strong college preparatory program of study from an accredited high school/secondary school.
- If you have attended a postsecondary institution, such as a college or university, outside the United States, submit course by course credentials evaluated through one of the following evaluation services.
- Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
National28470 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28470 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State12280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12280 USD per year during 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.