Within these areas, human service workers carry out many different roles, from case management and intervention to program administration and development.
Our human services major provides a theoretical framework for understanding the individual, the family, and the community; the interactions among them; and the systems that are set up to serve them. You will study human services using an ecological framework that envisions the individual in constant interaction with his or her environment, affecting and affected by institutions (families and organizations), the communities in which these institutions exist, and the institutions’ socioeconomic and political environments.
The Human Services major from the University of Massachusetts Boston has been carefully constructed to meet community and workforce needs. Its ten courses focus on the skills, knowledge, and core values of human services practice, as well as the theoretical models that inform the field.
What Students Gain
While completing their coursework, students in human services build professional experience for their resumes through our applied service-learning programs and capstone. Students also gain:
- Knowledge of human development, family functioning, and community dynamics
- Basic skills in intervention with individuals, families, and groups
- Understanding of the history and structure of human services systems
- Research and information requirements for effective delivery of services
- Knowledge of ethics, values, and policies guiding human services practice
- The Life Cycle and the Environment
- Human Service Systems for Contemporary Families
- Intervention with Individuals and Small Groups
- Intervention with Large Systems
- Professional Responsibility and Ethics
- History of Social Welfare
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
- 15.02 - national deadline
DisciplinesSocial Work View 709 other Bachelors in Social Work in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed UMass Boston online admission application
- Application fee of $100
- An official high school record, leaving certificate and/or graduation examination results or their notarized copies. All documents in foreign languages must be translated by a certified professional.
- Academic recommendation letter (from a school-based counselor and/or teacher)
- 500-word essay
- Test scores
International34648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17324 USD per semester during 48 months.
National34648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17324 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State14186 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7093 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.