The Biology degree from Portland State University is distinguished by the active incorporation of research discoveries into teaching programs and by the opportunity to pursue undergraduate research with leading faculty scientists, providing students with a world-class education. The biology major is student-driven and allows you to choose your own area of specialization while receiving advice and support on the best pathway to reach your academic, research, and career goals by departmental faculty and advisors.
- A strong foundation in the biological sciences with opportunities for hands-on learning extensions.
- Expert faculty who bring the best research and real-life perspectives into the classroom.
- Student-driven curriculum and freedom to choose area(s) of specialization.
- Departmental support from the biology student success coordinator, faculty, and graduate students.
- State of the art research labs and multiple field sites where students can apply their knowledge.
- Opportunities to participate in internships, leadership, science education, community outreach, and as active researchers.
Biology students are prepared for a wide range of careers in conservation and wildlife; science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education and policy; scientific communication; research; health sciences and studies and related fields. Trained biologists may work in a variety of fields, or extend their studies to the graduate level. Biologists who enjoy working with people and encouraging them to learn about scientific principles and emerging issues find employment in schools, universities, museums, and other organizations.
Science policymakers and advisors directly develop STEM education policy or work with lawmakers to create legislation. Biologists with excellent writing and communication skills can be employed by scientific journals, textbook publishers, online magazines and science blogs or print/media networks, or by universities, government labs or non-profit organizations, trade journals, or other entities in positions that require educating the public about relevant and emerging biology issues.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Molecular Biology
- Cellular Biology
- Plant Biology
- Organismal Physiology
- Vertebrate Zoology
- General Ecology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 333 other Bachelors in Molecular Sciences in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You must have a cumulative (overall) grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 when converted to the U.S. 4.0 grading scale.
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement. You may be admitted to Portland State University and an Intensive English Language Program (IELP) pathway if you do not meet PSU's English Language Proficiency Requirement. Learn more about PSU’s English language programs.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International29706 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29706 USD per year during 48 months.
National29706 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29706 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State10806 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10806 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.