Biomedical engineering involves the application and use of engineering principles and expertise to analyze and solve problems related to medicine and health care. Biomedical engineers may be involved with the research, design and deployment of medical devices, implants and systems, as well as new procedures based on engineering analysis, in the areas including rehabilitation and assistive devices, human factors, biomechanics and biomaterials, tissue and cellular engineering, and bioelectrical signals, electronics and imaging. The department currently offers three tracks: biomechanics and rehabilitation engineering, biomedical instrumentation and imaging, and cellular, tissue, and regenerative engineering. Pre-professional health curriculum may fit within any track.
The Biomedical Engineering program at Virginia Commonwealth University has a comprehensive and well-rounded curriculum in all aspects of the biomedical industry.
The biomedical engineering department at VCU knows that hands-on learning experiences are critical for success no matter what career path a student chooses. Some key experiences provided by the program are:
- Freshman participation on medical and clinical rounds throughout VCU hospitals, the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA and exposure to local Biomedical Engineering companies.
- Opportunities to use state-of-the-art equipment and learn key design and testing methodologies in: biomechanics, bioinstrumentation, signal processing, cell and tissue engineering, and rehabilitation and human factors engineering.
- A full year, capstone design project course in the Senior year, with opportunities to work with Medical and other Healthcare faculty, as well as Biomedical companies. Opportunities are also provided to submit completed projects to Biomedical Conferences, with the possibility to present and win prizes.
- BME faculty are strongly dedicated to providing research and design opportunities for undergraduate students in their laboratories (as well as outside the BME department). Several VCU mechanisms for funding students’ time in a research lab, as well as trips to research conferences, are available.
- Successes and Failures in Biomedical Technologies
- Biological Systems in Engineering
- Statics and Mechanics of Materials
- Applied Physiology for Biomedical Engineers
- Computational Methods in Biomedical Engineering
- Biotransport Processes
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering General Engineering & Technology Biochemistry View 1946 other Bachelors in Biochemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants must present grades (marks) that reflect superior ability and serious effort
- Original or officially certified copies of all grade reports for all secondary and higher school studies — as well as original or officially certified copies of all academic diplomas, certificates and national or other major examination results — must be submitted in the native language along with an official English translation
- Proof of English proficiency
- If your school is accredited in the United States or your school is an IB school, you do not need your transcript to be evaluated
International36456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 36456 USD per year during 48 months.
National36456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 36456 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State15118 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15118 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.