Sociology majors at the University of Houston must complete core courses in sociological theory, social statistics, and research methods. Alongside core courses, sociology electives emphasize an understanding of a broad range of subjects including family, gender, healthcare, poverty, race and ethnicity, sexuality, and social psychology.
The study of sociology provides students with the tools to understand social problems and to create research and data-driven policies for alleviating these problems. In sociological theory, students will learn about sociological theories and concepts that will help them to think analytically and critically about the social world. In social statistics, they will learn to apply statistical techniques and to interpret statistical results. In research methods, they will gain hands-on experience developing and conducting a research study. In many of the writing-intensive electives in sociology, students will develop their problem solving and communication skills.
All of these skills are invaluable in today’s technical and data-driven work environment. The sociology major thus prepares students for graduate studies in the social sciences, as well as fields such as social work, education, and public health. It also prepares them for an array of jobs in the non-profit, for-profit, and government sectors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Sociological Theory
- Introduction to Social Statistics
- Introduction to Sociological Research
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSociology View 1354 other Masters in Sociology in United States
- Submit a $90, nonrefundable application fee to the University of Houston.
- Send your high-school and college transcripts either by mail or electronically to the Office of Admissions. High-school transcripts should include class rank. Once transcripts are submitted, they become property of the University of Houston and can’t be returned. Transcripts received for applicants who do not enroll will be kept on file for one year.
- If you graduated from a U.S. high school, a U.S.-accredited high school overseas or a U.S. university, or if you’re from a native English-speaking country, your SAT or ACT scores must be sent to the University of Houston.
International25934 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25934 USD per year during 48 months.
National25934 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25934 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State10274 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10274 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.