We offer a bachelor degree in American Sign Language / English Interpreting at the Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis. For students who already possess a bachelor’s degree, a certificate program is offered. The certificate program consists of eleven core interpreting courses.
Interpreting for people who do not speak a common language is a linguistic and social act of communication. An interpreter relays messages and manages the process of talking back-and-forth for two people who speak different languages. An interpreter’s role is an engaged one, aimed at an overall understanding of the entire communicative situation, requiring fluency in the languages, the ability to know how meaning is constructed, and skills in managing the cross-cultural flow of talk.
American Sign Language Classes
- IUPUI currently offers six classes in ASL.
- All sections of these classes are taught by native users of the language.
- If you are interested in taking ASL because your goal is to become an interpreter, you need to speak with the Director of the program in ASL/EI regarding the classes you should be taking.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The curriculum sequence is designed to teach interpreting as a face-to-face process that is conversational in nature and prepares students as community interpreters in medical, legal, social welfare, and educational settings.
- Completing the BS degree does not mean a graduate is a certified interpreter. Certification at the national level requires an exam administered by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.
- Most students are able to pass the written portion of this exam before graduating. The performance and interview portions of the exam usually require additional experience in the field. The amount of time will vary from individual to individual.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 1444 other Bachelors in Linguistics in United States
- Submit your application and essay
- Pay the application fee or request a fee waiver
- Have your test scores sent to IUPUI
- Have your official high school transcript sent to IUPUI
- Have official transcripts from any dual-credit or college courses sent to IUPUI (if applicable)
- Submit credentials for any education completed outside the U.S. (if applicable)
- Complete the Prior Conduct Information and Release form (if applicable)
International33347 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33347 USD per year during 48 months.
National33347 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33347 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State9944 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9944 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Indianapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.