Choose from a broad background in traditional and contemporary Asian cultures, emphasizing an interdisciplinary approach.
You can take not only Asian Studies courses at University of Hawaii at Manoa, but also other Asia-related courses in other departments: anthropology, art, economics, geography, history, linguistics, literature, music, philosophy, political science, religion, sociology, theater and dance, and urban and regional planning.
The Asian Studies undergraduate program provides the student with a broad interdisciplinary approach to Asian national and cultures. Upon receiving an area studies degree, the student should have the following skills:
- Students possess basic skills in at least 1 Asian language. Demonstrate college-level fluency in reading, writing, speaking at basic and intermediate levels.
- Students can demonstrate a basic understanding of the interrelationship of economy, politics, literature, religion, the arts, history of Asian countries.
- Demonstrate an understanding of major themes in Asian history and cultural development.
- Be able to explain how Asian Studies is constituted in the West.
- Be able to explain the ways in which global forces have interacted with the Asian regional context in shaping the character and course of societies in Asia today.
- Asian Studies: East Asia
- Asian Studies: South/Southeast Asia
- Chinese Political Economy
- Asian Humanities
- Contemporary Asian Civilization
- (Alpha) Asian Nation Studies
- The Way of Tea in Japanese History and Culture
- Chado-the Way of Tea Practicum
- (Alpha) Japanese Film: Art and History
- Chinese Film: Art and History
- Geography of Southeast Asia
- Buddhist Philosophy
- Southeast Asian Literature in Translation
- 20th-Century Chinese Women Writers
- (Alpha) Field Study in Asia
- Modern Philippines
- Gender and Politics in U.S.-Okinawa Relations
- Globalization and Identity in the Himalayas
- Contested Issues in Contemporary Japan
- Gender Issues in Asian Society
- The Pop Pacific: South Korean and Japanese Popular Music and Society
- Japan Cool: Anime, Manga, and Film
- Ethnic Diversity in China
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Linguistics View 3074 other Bachelors in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Complete the Freshman Application!
- Application Fee: $70 U.S.
- Official High School Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation
- Personal Statement & List of Achievements Form
- Official Standardized Test Scores
International33336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16668 USD per semester during 48 months.
National33336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16668 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State11304 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5652 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.