We live and study in an age in which major world cultures that were formerly assigned to particular geographic regions are recognized to have truly international, cross-sectional reach. Studying Asian historic civilizations and contemporary societies and economies is fascinating, meaningful and practical.
At the University at Buffalo we offer a bachelor degree in Asian Studies. Several Asian languages are taught in the Department of Linguistics. Chinese, Japanese, and Korean are each offered through the fourth-year. Undergraduate minors may be elected in these languages. UB students may also study Arabic, Hindi/Urdu, and Sanskrit.
Credits earned through study abroad in Asia, undertaking language study, non-language classes and graduate research can count toward Asian Studies major requirements.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Use primary and secondary sources to develop arguments and analysis including sources in a language other than their native language
- Speak, listen, read, and write proficiently in an Asian language other than their native language at the intermediate level or higher
- Analyze how specific historical developments, cultural norms, socioeconomic and geographic contexts, etc. have shaped perceptions, practices, and products of individuals in specific Asian cultures, including Asian diaspora in the United States
- Compare and contrast historical developments, traditions, practices, and structures of an Asian target country with those of the United States
- Demonstrate specialized, interdisciplinary knowledge of one Asian country or region (normally the country or region of the second language studied)
- Understand the terminology and methodologies of different disciplinary approaches to the study of Asia
- The Asian American Experience
- Special Studies Asian Studies
- Asian Civilization
- Survey of Asian Literature
- Contemporary Asian Societies
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies General Studies & Classics Linguistics View 1578 other Bachelors in Linguistics in United States
- Academic materials
- English proficiency
- SAT / ACT
- Personal essay
- Recommendation letters
- Special Major Requirements
International24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 48 months.
National24990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24990 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State7270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7270 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.