Social studies education is an interdisciplinary integration of several social sciences including economics, government and citizenship, historical perspectives, psychology, and sociology.
Two key themes (social justice and diversity, and K-12 STEM education) and four key strands (innovation, collaboration, advancement, and leadership) run through and guide the program. Students at the Purdue University who successfully complete all requirements of a teacher preparation program that is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Indiana Department of Education are eligible for licensure in the state of Indiana.
Once licensed, a social studies education graduate is qualified to teach social studies related subjects (i.e., economics, history, government, and citizenship) to secondary students in a public, private, or independent school. With 43 interstate licensing agreements, graduates will be able to teach almost anywhere in the country.
Careers in Social Studies Education
- Camp counselor
- Community services
- Graduate or professional school (e.g., child psychologist, education administrator, lawyer, school counselor)
- Exploring Teaching As A Career
- Educational Technology And Computing Multiculturalism And Education
- The Teaching Of Social Studies In Secondary Schools
- The Teaching Of Social Studies In Junior High/Middle School
- Reading In Middle And Secondary Schools: Methods And Problems
- Supervised Teaching
- Learning And Motivation
- The Inclusive Classroom
- Assessment Literacy
- Educational Policies And Laws
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
- If you're applying to begin in the spring or summer term, submit application as early as possible prior to the start of the term.
DisciplinesEconomics Education Sociology View 2647 other Bachelors in Education in United States
- Apply Online: $60 Application Fee
- Secondary School Grades
- Official SAT or ACT Score: SAT or ACT scores with writing is strongly encouraged for international citizens.
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Letter of Recommendation: Though not required, a letter of recommendation is strongly encouraged, especially for students eligible to be considered for scholarships, for the Honors College or for those who are applying to highly competitive programs.
International31104 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31104 USD per year during 48 months.
National28794 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28794 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State9992 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9992 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for West Lafayette
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.