Number of scholarships to award
- tuition fee reduction
The South Asia Excellence Scholarship has been established to attract high-performing students to study at the University of Newcastle. This is a merit-based scholarship that recognises applicants with a strong academic background and incentives them to continue striving to be the best that they can be.
Scholarships will be automatically awarded to students who have received an offer to study in an eligible, non-quota program and who will commence studying with the University of Newcastle.
The scholarship is valued at AU$10,000 for each year of study under full-time study load, apportioned over each course taken (pro-rata with an approved load reduction on program plan, credits exemptions, progression or wellbeing grounds).
This equates to AU$1250 per 10-units of study and will be administered each term as a tuition fee reduction against the amount of credits initially issued in your letter of offer.
The advertised value of the scholarship and number available are indicative only. The actual value will depend on length of program and ongoing eligibility.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a passport from an eligble South Asia country, being Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka.
- Be commencing study in an eligible undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree program at the University (excluding ELICOS, Enabling, Non-Award, Higher Degrees by Research programs and programs delivered at offshore campuses).
- Be an International full-fee paying student.
- Be commencing in an eligible program at an Australian or Online campus as indicated in your Letter of Offer.
- Not be the beneficiary of a separate University scholarship unless prior approval for special dispensation has been obtained from the university.
- Meet all of the financial obligations of a full-fee paying international student, including the full tuition fee and other expenses for the purpose of obtaining your student visa, and in the event that eligibility for the scholarship is not maintained.
- Not be enrolling in an excluded quota program (see selection details).
Study experience required
No application is required for this scholarship.
Scholarships are automatically applied for upon application to the University (where eligibility criteria is met).
Successful students will receive notification of the value of their scholarship with their offer and should review the full terms and conditions, advising the university if you do not wish to accept.
Scholarship offers will be made on the basis of academic merit. All academic merit determinations are determined according to the University’s procedures for determining ATAR and GPA.
Students who do not receive an offer of the scholarship will not be eligible for the scholarship. Internal transfer students who are studying at an Australian or Online campus and were not previously awarded the scholarship will also not be eligible.