The popularity of Hungary as an international student destination is growing because it’s affordable, promises a multicultural student environment, and has iconic landscapes and buildings.
But you are also very likely to find yourself in the same class with students from Mongolia, Ecuador, or India once you apply to a university in Hungary. So, if you want to experience higher education ‘the Hungarian way’, we’re here to guide you through the university application process.
1. Find a Hungarian university to apply to
Here are a few universities in Hungary we recommend:
Check out the top-ranked universities in Hungary.
2. Learn where to submit your university application
Hungary doesn’t use a unified application system, which means you’ll need to follow the instructions available on the website of your chosen Hungarian university.
The process usually involves submitting an online application (and, in some cases, even uploading documents online). You might also be required to send your documents — originals or copies — by post. Make sure they are translated and legalised!
3. Meet the university entry requirements
Admission criteria differ from one university to another, but there are some of the most common university application requirements in Hungary:
- high-school or Bachelor’s diploma
- transcript of records (translated into English)
- copies of diplomas (translated into English)
- letter of motivation
- copy of personal ID or passport
- academic reference letter(s)
- up-to-date CV
- an online interview (on Skype, Zoom)
Depending on your chosen study programme, Hungarian universities might ask for additional documents.
4. Meet the language requirements
To study an English-taught degree in Hungary, you must provide official evidence of your current English language level.
This is determined by taking one of the following international English tests, and each Hungarian university sets the minimum scores for admission:
5. Apply before the application deadlines
We encourage international students to check out the application dates and other important deadlines on the official university websites. In general, there are two application periods or rounds:
- For the autumn intake: apply before June
- For the spring intake: apply before November
6. Final steps after receiving your acceptance letter
- confirm your enrolment after receiving the acceptance letter/university offer
- apply for a student visa in Hungary
- apply for medical insurance
- search for scholarships and grants. You can also apply for our Studyportals Scholarship: International Distinction Awards.
To learn more about what’s it like to live and study in Hungary, check out: