Are you practical minded and passionate about Science and Tech? Then studying a STEM Bachelor’s degree might be just down your alley. If you enter the select club of students who pursue studies in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics you’ll be happy to know that most countries have well-paid jobs for STEM graduates and are looking forward to getting more of them on the job market.
More often than not, Bachelors’ programmes combine core Science subjects with other STEM disciplines resulting in undergraduate studies like:
The term is very popular in the U.S. where education policies focusing on STEM degrees were first implemented, but many countries now promote studies in the four main STEM subject areas – which are often interconnected. In other words, STEM is not a stand-alone discipline, but refers to study programmes that focus on one or more of the four subjects: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Let’s see which of the STEM subject areas fits you best, looking at which degrees are actually STEM, and your career prospects after graduating such a degree, so you can pick the right one.
Bachelors of Sciences – get your gloves out for scientific research
Science is such a broad field of study that you can get lost in it. But some Science degrees that are generally recognised as STEM ones are, among others: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, and Statistics. Therefore, some good study options to consider are:
Jobs with an undergraduate degree in Sciences
If you opt for a Bachelor’s in Science-related fields the best career prospects are:
- Medical Scientist – you are about to investigate and analyse causes of diseases, particularly those caused by microorganisms (old-fashioned germs). The starting salary is 31.000 USD/year.
- Chemist – you’ll need a microscope as you will analyse molecules and develop new products or make sure safety standards are respected. The starting salary is 39.000 USD/year.
- Biologist – you’ll study organisms and their relationship with the environment. You can use this info to come up with medical, industrial, or agricultural improvements. The starting salary is 34.000 USD/year.
- Clinical Researcher – you'll help test the efficiency and safety of pharmaceutical, medical devices, or procedures for treating a given health condition. The starting salary is 49.000 USD/year.
- Biological Technician – you can call yourself the king of the lab. Your job will be to set up, maintain, and clean laboratory equipment, and conduct biological tests and experiments. The starting salary is 14.000 USD/year.
Bachelors in Technology – stretch your fingers and get your toolbox
To put it simply, Technology is all about skills, methods, and processes used in scientific investigations. If you choose a Technology-oriented Bachelor’s, prepare to study all you can imagine about computers and digital devices and sometimes even Engineering-related degrees. Popular courses of study are:
- Bachelors in Electronics in Canada
- Bachelors in Computer Sciences in China
- Bachelors in Information Sciences in Australia
- Bachelors in IT in Finland
- Bachelors in Computer Sciences in Sweden
Jobs with an undergraduate degree in Information Technology
If you finish a degree in Computer Science and IT, the best career options are:
- Software developer – you will develop programmes for companies or improve existing ones. The starting salary is 49.000 USD/year.
- Systems Analyst – you will help improve the way organisations use IT systems and develop strategies and new systems. The starting salary is 45.000 USD/year.
- UX designer — you’ll improve user experience by making sites easy to navigate.The starting salary is 48.000 USD/year.
- Network Architect – you’ll design, implement, and keep networking and data communication systems, based on the needs of your company employer. The starting salary is 72.000 USD/year.
- Big Data analyst – you’ll mine for data about users' behaviour. Your job will be to work with huge sets of data and find market trends.The starting salary is 41.000 USD/year.
Bachelors in Engineering – become Mr. or Mrs. Problem-solver
Studying Engineering is for those who like turning ideas into practical applications. With more than 20 specializations this field is for innovators who like both maths and science. Some of the undergraduate degrees which are labelled as STEM ones are: Civil engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, and Industrial Engineering.
Engineering is about improving systems, machines, processes, materials. In other words, you’ll be the fixer many organisations need. Curios about where are the best places to study Engineering? Here’s your answer:
- Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
- Bachelors in Aerospace Engineering in the UK
- Bachelors in Engineering and Technology in the Netherlands
- Bachelors in Industrial Engineering in Turkey
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering in China
Jobs with an undergraduate degree in Engineering
Bachelor’s graduates in Engineering enjoy great starting salaries, but the pay scale varies a lot according to specialisation and country.
Some of the most rewarding career options for those pursuing a Bachelor’s in Engineering are:
- Civil engineer – you’ll work in the service of cities, constructing or supervising infrastructure projects. The starting salary is 49.000 USD/year.
- Mechanical engineer – you’ll be in charge of making and maintaining power-generating machines: engines, generators, gas turbines. You’ll be the Turbo man. The starting salary is 51.000 USD/year
- Engineering consultant – you’ll provide independent expertise and advice on engineering projects to government institutions and companies. The starting salary is 57.000 USD/year.
- Aerospace engineer – you’ll work in a select industry, designing and making aircraft components or implementing systems and processes related to space travel. The starting salary is 60.000 USD. Year.
- Petroleum engineer – you’ll work in the oil and gas industry, establishing drilling methods, choosing and creating drilling equipment. The starting salary is 60.000 USD/year.
Bachelors in Mathematics – be a numbers wizard
Studying Mathematics never goes out of fashion. One of the oldest discipline, Mathematics is indispensable in all the above fields of study. A Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics is for you if you think everything translates into numbers and patterns.
If this is the case, then check out some Mathematics undergraduate degrees that will definitely give a ‘positive value’ to your passion:
- Bachelors in Mathematics in the U.S.
- Bachelors in Mathematics in the UK
- Bachelors in Mathematics in Australia
- Bachelors in Mathematics in Netherlands
- Bachelors in Mathematics in Turkey
Jobs with an undergraduate degree in Mathematics
Because you can enter a lot of professions with a degree in Mathematics, the salaries for fresh graduates depend on the industry. However, if you choose to become a mathematician, the average salary is 63,000 USD/year for an entry-level job.
Here are other career options that are popular if you have a degree in Mathematics:
- Accountant – you’ll keep balance sheets for organisations, recording all their transactions. You’ll be a go-to person when it comes to money management. The starting salary is 37.000 USD/year.
- Economist – you’ll research and analyse economic issues, processing economic data using mathematical models. The starting salary is 44.000 USD/year.
- Actuary – you’ll use mathematical models to assess the financial costs of risks, working in industries like insurance and banking. The starting salary is 50.000 USD/year.
- Statistician – creative and adaptive, you’ll create and analyse surveys and, most importantly interpret and summarise numerical data so that the rest of us can make sense of it. You’ll be a numbers’ psychic. The starting salary is 49.000 USD/year.
Great Bachelor’s programmes that lead to STEM careersSTEM careers are some of the most prestigious ones. STEM jobs are not only in-demand on the market but also better paid compared to non-STEM occupations. The average entry salary for a STEM Bachelor’s graduate is 66,123 USD/year.
So, if you’re into one of the STEM disciplines, and want to have a great career kick-off, don’t miss checking some universities that offer STEM degrees::
- Linköping University, in Sweden
- University of South Florida, in the U.S.
- Radboud University, in Netherlands
- Centria University of Applied Sciences, in Finland
- Business Academy Aarhus, in Denmark
- Sabanci University, in Turkey
The automobile, the steam engine, the airplane, vaccines, the Internet and mobile phones, changed our world in incredible ways. The next world-class innovation that’s going to improve our lives might be in your hands, so this is the perfect moment to apply to STEM Bachelors!