There comes a time in anyone’s life when they have to decide what career path they want to choose. The career of your dreams is inevitably linked to your study options, so once you will realise what you want to do with your life, you’ll know what steps to take to become the graduate that companies are fighting over hiring.
We'll take you through a short tour of the best careers right now, and you can decide which one best fits your skills and personality. And don’t worry if you realise a career is not right for you. Not making the optimal initial decision is not the end of the road, but the chance to discover and explore what you’re really made for.
If you're still deciding on picking the right career and the Bachelor's degree to get you started, here are our picks for international students can prepare for by studying abroad.
1. Programming - code your way to career success
I bet you saw this one coming! Literally, everyone needs a good programmer, coder, IT specialist, hacker, or web designer. Businesses have been moving to the digital world for some years now and who do you think keeps it all going? You neighbourhood socially awkward programmer with their analytical mind, trusty bottle of fizzy drink, and a heart of gold.
To be a good computer programmer you need a high attention to details, logical and analytical thinking, the love for working with numbers and a pinch of creativity. Oh, and you'll need to learn some form of modern programming language that's much like learning a new language if you've never done it before. But it's easier if you're familiar with turning math problems into algorithms.
If you’re really good at computers and attracted by the idea of creating websites, then find out what it takes to become a game-designer.
If you're more into straight-up coding, here are some good undergraduate degrees to start with:
- Bachelors in Computer Science in Netherlands
- Bachelors in Computer Science in Spain
- Bachelors in Computer Science in Denmark
- Bachelors in Computer Science in Canada
- Bachelors in Computer Science in Turkey
2. Nursing - literally healing people and making them feel better
Any honest doctor will tell you that nothing moves in the hospital without the head nurses knowing about it. And nurses have to be like that to make sure their patients are well taken care of and have all they need to heal. Doctors will also tell you that there are never enough nurses for all the help they need, either. And that's where you come in!
If you want to become a nurse, you have to know for sure if you can cope with the idea of seeing people in pain or treating their injuries every day. The most gifted nurses are truly empathetic and have good interpersonal skills, among many other qualities.
Find the Nursing degree that best suits you below:
- Bachelors in Nursing in Australia
- Bachelors in Nursing in the U.S.
- Bachelors in Nursing in Canada
- Bachelors in Nursing in Finland
3. Social Work - saving society one person at a time
Tough times require tough work and dedication. And none are more important than the unsung heroes that few talk about, but many are looking to hire - the dedicated social worker. Social workers are the ones that help people with a great need for social care, such as abused children, unemployed people, the homeless, refugees, or people with an addiction problem and other vulnerable individuals.
Mainly, they will have to provide these people information and access to the whole palette of social services that may include medical services, financial help or other. If you want to become a social worker, loving the idea to work with and for the people is mandatory.
Some of the most popular destinations to study Social Work are:
- Social Work Bachelors in Ireland
- Social Work Bachelors in the U.S.
- Social Work Bachelors in Canada
- Social Work Bachelors in Australia
4. Accounting - the typical office job that someone has to do well
Ever wondered why accountants have big salaries and are always in high demand? Part of it is because companies need money to grow and thrive. To do so, they need the best financial experts to make sure they spend their money wisely. Their financial futures are at stake!
If you like to work with numbers and are good with fast calculations, but you also have a business acumen, becoming a certified accountant might just be your vocation. To be easier for you, you can check these study options all over the world:
- Bachelors in Accounting in China
- Bachelors in Accounting in the U.K.
- Bachelors in Accounting in Greece
- Bachelors in Accounting in the UK
5. Teaching - helping others learn and inspiring thirst for knowledge
If you truly adore young curious minds and think you can also be creative and patient, then search no longer! You are meant to become a teacher. You just have to decide what kind of teaching career suits you best and what subjects you’d like to teach.
Whether you believe you’re fit to build the foundations of education and teach toddlers basic things like how to count or become a professor and guide and prepare students for their future career, teaching will always give you a fulfilling feeling.
Some of the most popular study options in Education are:
- Teaching Bachelors in Spain
- Teaching Bachelors in the U.K.
- Teaching Bachelors in Ireland
- Teaching Bachelors in Australia
A few tips to help you pick your perfect career
Before you leave, here are some pointers that will help you find your inner calling.
- Check out job ads in the newspapers or online, career sites and blogs, and explore those options that sound appealing to you. Knowing what are the requirements and duties of a job will narrow down your list of possible careers.
- Figure out what your best assets are. For instance, if you’re an introvert, it would probably be best to leave out jobs in sales or customer service. However, if you think you can handle the challenge, you could give them a try and see if they fit you or not.
- If you want to try out a job to see what it's like, you can always apply for an internship. Big companies usually offer several internships, available in many departments (IT, administrative, sales, etc.).
- Ask yourself if you see yourself doing a certain job for a long period of time. Should you choose a career that you are really good at or one that you are most comfortable with?
Found a career that might fit you and the Bachelor to go with it? If not check out the top 9 disciplines to study a Bachelor's degree in.