Studying abroad in the United Kingdom is a great opportunity to get some of the best higher education in the world. However, this kind of quality usually does not come cheap and most international students usually need some form of financial aid to cover all or part of their study costs in the UK. When it comes to applying for a good, generous scholarship, the competition is really high and some of the best providers take into consideration your previous academic history seriously.
Even after Brexit, EU students can still enjoy the same benefits in terms of funding opportunities and tuition fees. According to the latest policies set by the British government, students coming from the EU will still be taken into consideration when they apply for scholarships and they will continue to enjoy the benefit of ‘home fee status’ – they will be charged the same tuition as UK students.
So if you can prove you're a top student with great study achievements, you shouldn’t think twice and apply for a student scholarship in the UK.
Here are some of the best-known scholarship opportunities awarded every year for international students who want to study in the United Kingdom:
1. The Chevening Scholarships
These scholarships are offered by the UK government to individuals with high academic performance who demonstrate high leadership potential. Recipients of the scholarships are personally selected by British Embassies around the world. Future decision-makers have a chance to develop academically, to create professional networks, experience UK culture, and much more. The scholarship offers financial support to study for a Master’s degree at any of the UK’s leading universities, with over 1,500 Chevening Scholarships on offer globally every academic cycle.
2. Euraxess UK
Euraxess UK is offered by British Council, and is aimed at aiding researchers in their career development, supporting mobility and acting as a support mechanism for researchers moving abroad or moving to the UK. Euraxess UK provides support, with the funding database providing a good source of funding opportunities.
Euraxess UK provides support with the funding database providing a good source of funding and scholarship opportunities.
3. The Commonwealth ScholarshipsThe Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK (CSC) awards scholarships and fellowships for those who want to pursue a Master’s or PhD and develop professionally. The scholarships are offered each year to students coming from the Commonwealth countries. Candidates are selected based on their previous academic history and their potential to aid in developing a better life for citizens of their home countries.Each scholarship provides airfare to and from United Kingdom, tuition and examination fees, personal maintaining allowance, thesis grant (if applicable), initial arrival allowance, among others.
4. The Royal Society Grants
The independent scientific academy of the UK and the Commonwealth is dedicated to promoting excellence in science, and thus, offers a significant number of scholarships to talented and promising students.
The Royal Society is a Fellowship of many of the world's most eminent scientists and is the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence.
5. UK - China Research Partnership for PhD Studies
Grants to sponsor PhD students and their supervisors from the UK and China to spend a period of study at higher education institutions in China or the UK. The UK - China Research Partnership for PhD Studies aims to promote increased research and innovation collaboration between the two countries resulting in long-term partnerships.
6. Scholarships from British universities
Top universities in the UK also usually provide generous funding for international students, based on their previous achievements. Here are just a few scholarships and scholarship finding tools offered by the best universities in the UK, according to European Rankings in 2018:
- University of Cambridge;
- University of Oxford;
- Imperial College London;
- King’s College London;
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE);
- University College London.
7. The Global Study Awards
The partnership between Studyportals, ISIC and British Council encourages young people to study abroad to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages. A scholarship of 10,000 GBP will be offered twice a year to two future international students committed to expanding their intercultural understanding and to changing society for the better.
Apply right now to universities in the UK that offer scholarships
There are many other universities in the UK that offer study scholarahips to international students, including our partner universities. Some examples are:
- University of Birmingham – offers a wide range of scholarship for each geographical region.
- University of the West of Scotland – offers discipline-related scholarships and 120 “limited edition” Anniversary Scholarships (£1,500) to students who have achieved academic excellence.
- Glasgow Caledonian University – offers a guaranteed scholarship of £1,000 for full-time self-funded students, merit-based country scholarships, and alumni scholarships.
Check the available Masters in the UK and see which of the degrees match your background and interests. Start the application process by filling in your student profile. You will soon get contacted by one of our application counsellors who will assist you further. We’ll then apply on your behalf. Fingers crossed!
P.S. Don't forget that to get a great scholarship you need to have an equally great scholarship application essay.
If you've already graduated from a university, you can help future students find their perfect studies as well. Give them a hand by writing a short review describing your experience and make their choice easier. Sharing is caring!