If the thought of studying a Bachelor’s degree abroad makes your eyes sparkle, then you should definitively pursue your dream; take a deep breath, and go for it!
Still, it’s normal to have some doubts, but don’t worry! Everyone does. Going abroad for your studies is a huge step and probably one of the most important life-changing decisions you’ll make.
If you still need some convincing, here are seven basic reasons that will clear your mind and make you start looking for your perfect international Bachelor’s.
1. You will get to see the world and travel to great countries
One of the main reasons for you to study abroad is the possibility of seeing the world.
You will have the opportunity to explore and visit new places, that you never even imagined, as well as immerse yourself in the culture of the country you will actually live in.
In addition, you can easily visit neighbouring countries. For instance, Europe, being only twice as large as the Amazon Rainforest, is famous for being so tiny you can literally walk from country to country.
But don’t know where to start? Here are just a few countries with great English-taught degrees just waiting to be discovered:
- Study abroad in Spain and enjoy all the sunshine-filled beaches;
- Study abroad in Italy to see with your own eyes the worlds’ most famous artworks;
- Study abroad in the U.K. and discover the coolest accents;
- Study abroad in Greece and follow in the steps of the most famous philosophers;
- Study abroad in Australia to befriend some kangaroos;
- Study abroad in Canada to meet some of the nicest people in the world.
2. Embrace and experience a new culture first-hand
We all grow up in our own culture and traditions, so when you decide to study abroad, you get to see other perspectives and cultures, and that’s always an interesting and fascinating thing.
You might experience cultural shock, but that shouldn’t deter you, if you go into it with a sense of wonder, not fearing changes. Also, getting to learn more about different customs, foods, and social lives is just another way of enriching and expanding your horizons.
When we asked one of our international students from Cameroon, Beltus, to explain why studying abroad is so important, from his point of view:
"Education is probably an important agent in this.
It’s very important and I did a little research and I realized that a great deal of change is being motivated by a lot of young people in the diaspora. Who have studied or are still studying, and they have seen a lot of different options and opinions. Most of our books are being written there, but if you don’t really live this experience, I’m telling you, you won’t really appreciate it."
If this sounds amazing to you, you should know that some of the most international universities in the world, as per Times Higher Education, are:
- The University of Edinburgh, in Edinburgh, the U.K.;
- Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), in Atlanta, the U.S.;
- Utrecht University, in Utrecht, Netherlands;
- Peking University, in Beijing, China;
- Polytechnic University of Turin, in Torino, Italy;
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), in Karlsruhe, Germany;
- King's College London, in London, the U.K.
Plus, it’s a great opportunity for you to share your own culture with the people you meet and see their confused expressions when you try and explain some of your customs.
3. Make friends from all over the world
Nowadays, keeping in touch with people from different continents is fairly easy and accessible, thanks to our miracle-working phones.
And, although it might seem difficult, at first, you should know that making friends is the easiest thing ever, if you either become a Student Ambassador for your future university, or you join extra-curricular activities.
And, as a plus, by making international friends, you will have additional reasons to travel and sleep on random couches around the world.
4. Get to exercise your foreign language skills
You may have learned English from song lyrics and movies, or you may have studied the main grammar and vocabulary during school, but you will always need to use it in real-life situations and interactions.
Just think how many nuance things you will learn after talking, studying, and taking an exam in English: famous phrases, quotes, or even curse words (but we’re not encouraging that!).
5. Great job opportunities await you after you graduate
Another important benefit of studying abroad is that you can add this experience to your CV. This will help you stand out from the crowd, seeing how, in an increasingly globalised society, any kind of international experience will help you immensely.
If you’re curious what the most popular careers and study-options international students search for, you should know that these are:
- Computer Sciences & IT in Germany;
- Forensic Science in Canada;
- Psychology in the Netherlands;
- Mechatronics in the United States;
- Nursing in Finland;
- Computer Sciences & IT in France;
- Hospitality Management in Australia.
6. With an international Bachelor’s, you can expand your horizons
It might sound cliché, but travelling for your Bachelor’s degree will make you a much worldlier person. Studying abroad is one of the most eye-opening, mind-bending, life-changing experiences a student can have.
When you study abroad, you learn about new people, cultures, perspectives, all of which help you expand your view of the world.
7. Boost your self-confidence and gain independence
Finally, another benefit of studying abroad and embracing this adventure is learning about yourself.
Being in a new place by yourself can be difficult at times, and it tests your ability to adapt to different situations. This means that you will learn how to be independent and mature, and you will become more confident and grow as a person.
One last piece of advice
Being an international student definitely has more benefits than the ones we mentioned. You can only discover them once you choose to study abroad yourself.
So, start looking for a Bachelor’s degree worldwide and don’t be afraid to make your dream of studying abroad come true!